James,
This is what I went thru' :
My Linux-Mandrake 7.1 is given by Maximum Linux Aug/Sept 2000; before
install, I set cmos/bios of my computer to auto detect IDE primary master
and primary slave only; boot computer to dos with cdrom support from Win95
boot disk. My cdrom was detected as C:\ ; new un-partition, un-format,
Seagate 10 Gb harddisk un-detected; inserted L-M 7.1 cd into cdrom; cd to
C:\dosutils\autoboot\mdkinst\cdrom.bat; press [enter]; install menu show
up; continued till "can't read partition table" press [OK]; continue with
"auto allocate" until completion of installation. Balance of  installation
: setup sound card and modem.
Try follow above routine. HTH, Regards.