On Fri, 27 Oct 2000 03:46:28 -0700 (PDT), Bradford Sturtevant wrote:

>Example,
>if you downloaded the latest Apache server from
>apache.org, installed it, then downloaded the
>RPM from Redhat and installed you would end up
>with Apache installed in two different locations.

Sounds like RedHad changed the install dir in their distribution, and then the
developers RPM put it in their intended place which gave you two copies.

If the code is something which Mandrake shipped on their install CD, then
generally they do a good job maintaining their MDK files which you can access
from the MandrakeUpdate program. It also knows what are the suppported packages
which need to be updated for the package you choose. For example, I wanted to
see if SAMBA 2.0.7 fixed my Win2K client problems, ran Mandrake update,
selected the SAMBA files, and the update program found package requirements
about three levels deep - PAM, C, and some other stuff. In short, I had SAMBA
up and running in just a couple hours after a clean install of Mandrake 7.1 -
very nice!

Michael Lueck
Lueck Data Systems
http://www.lueckdatasystems.com/