On Friday 27 October 2000 05:46 am, you wrote:
> Are particular RPMs better for Mandrake?

  http://www.rpmdp.org/rpmbook/   will answer your questions, might
even turn you into a rpm guru ;)
     Short answer is you can use any rpm on Mandrake as long as you
understand the possible difficulties and how to work around them
(ie, the link above).
    Most of the time it's better to use Mandrake rpms on Mandrake.
I believe the problem most seem to have is finding them. For this
there's many resources.  I look on the mirrors in the current
version (/7.1/), the current beta (/7.2beta/), and the /contrib/ and
/cooker/ dirs.  There's always 'rpmfind' or go to rpmfind.net. Many
times I can find -mdk rpms with an ftp search when everything else
fails.  I use  http://ftpsearch.lycos.com/?form=medium   customized
to list by size,date and exclude BSD files.  There's also
http://www.freezer-burn.org/   I've also never had any problems with
'generic' rpms, ie those which are specific to a small program from
that apps website.  I usually look to see where the rpm is gonna
install, whether it's relocatable, other info, etc., before I
install it tho.  Type 'rpm -qpil <rpm>' to do this.