-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Greg Stewart
Sent: Sunday, October 29, 2000 8:14 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [newbie] Password

> start linux in single user mode, i think failsafe may do it, if not edit
your
> grub or lilo comands so it says linux -s
> when it loads you should still be on the command prompt, type linuxconf,
> whaen this program loads you will be able to change root password, should
be
> one of the first buttons, then save and exit linuxconf, reboot your
system,
> you should be able to use the new password as root,

Um... if he/she can't log in, I'm not sure this will fly... :-)

At the    boot:   prompt (if you have used lilo as the boot loader)  try the
linux single   prompt.
You may also type:    linux 1

If this logs you into a command line prompt, try typing:    passwd root
if it asks you for  the old password, you will need to re-install linux, and
make sure to remember your root password this time. If it simply asks for a
new password (which I don't expect it will) then just type the new password
and confirm it.

Linux is a secure OS, unlike windows (including NT) you MUST have 'root'
(administrator) account and a valid password for it. You should also create
user accounts as you should never log in as root unless you are making
system changes.

--Greg