> > Um... if he/she can't log in, I'm not sure this will fly... :-)
>
> hello i have had to do this!!!!!!!!!!! and it does work if she is in single
> user mode to change the password!

The thing is, to get logged into single user mode you have to provide the
root password.  So you're right, if you're there, you can change
passwords.  But Greg's also correct that you still need to know the
password.  What he's suggesting is that it's possible that the install
set up root without a password.  Not a good idea in any case but, as he
suggests, it's the only possiblility given the way the install was done.

Cheers --- Larry