I'm looking to do some hardware upgrading in the next couple of months,
and I
would like some advice about an external cd-rw for a laptop.  I've been
following
discussions on burning cds both in this group and in Linux mags, and
rarely does
anyone mention externals.  Can it even be done with Linux (Mandrake 7.1
being
touted as able to recognize more peripherals than most distros)?  Speed
is not
really a priority, and I may never get around to burning much more than
(wordprocessing) files, programs, and photos.
So, in a nutshell:
    Can it be done? By a newbie?
    Any recommendations on connections (USB, PCMCIA, etc) or brands?

Thanks in advance!
Christopher