it depends on which kind of SCSI and which kind of IDE.  An ATA-100 IDE
drive is really fast.  Probably quite a bit faster then a narrow SCSI 1
device.  Especially if you have a fast CPU.  If you have a slower CPU
then the SCSI device might be as fast or faster.

SCSI works on its own bus that is independent of the CPU while IDE
requires that the CPU handle its transactions.  This is the primary
reason for the speed difference.  In many cases the only physical
difference between a given IDE and SCSI drive from the same manufacturer
is the presence of a SCSI BIOS on one of the otherwise identical drives.

ATA-100 devices are very fast.  A few days ago at work I was ghosting a
hard drive from another hard drive.  Both were ATA-100 drives on the
asus A7V's promise 100 controller.  It was a 900 or so meg transfer and
it was completed in under 4 seconds.  Fast enough?

SCSI is more extensible then IDE though.  The only device on a SCSI
chain that gets an IRQ is the controller card.

Hope that gives you some food for thought!  I hate it when I ask a
question about hardware and I get "this is better" "no, This is better"
with no reasons why ;-)

Abe

--
The frammisgoshes should be distimmed because a frammisgosh is like a
farble