From: "Graham Watkins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, November 01, 2000 11:30 AM
Subject: [newbie] KPP Problem - can't connect to Net as user

I don't know if this is a common problem, but I seem unable to connect to
one of my ISPs (ntlworld)as a user with KPP.

Although the connection seems to work OK, when I open Netscape I get the
following message.

"Warning: the following hosts are unknown:

home.netscape.com
home6.netscape.com
internic.net

This means that some or all hosts will be unreachable.

Perhaps there is a problem with your name server?
If your site must use a non-root name server, you will
need to set the $SOCKS_NS environment variable to point
at the appropriate name server. It may (or may not) be
necessary to set this variable, or the SOCKS host preference
to the IP address of the host in question rather than its name.

Consult your system administrator."

Hang on a minute!  I'm the system administrator and I haven't got a clue.
I don't even know what the $SOCKS variable is, never mind how to point it
anywhere.

As root, I seem to be able to connect well enough to this or my other ISP
(Demon).  Does the fact that Demon have given me a static IP address and
ntlworld haven't make a difference?

If anyone out there has had this problem and solved it, I would be
grateful if they would share this info with me.