Dan LaBine wrote:

> ai4a wrote:
> >
> > If this is the wrong news group to post this to, I apologize. Just tell
> > me to which news group I should post.
> >
> > MY system:
> > PC100 Super Socket 7 made by Hsing Tech Enterprise (subsidiary of PC
> > Chips)
> > AMD k6-2 running at 500MH
> > 64 M ram
> > 10 G Seagate hard disk
> > dual boot Linux Mandrake 7.0 & windoze 98
> >
> > Now my question: The BIOS has an option 'Ultra DMA Support'.
> > If I enable this option, I can see no difference in windoze.
> >
> > If I enable this option, I can see no difference in Linux UNLESS I use
> > hdparm.
> > With it disabled, I can use 'hdparm -c1-d1 /dev/hda' and change the 64M
> > read timing from 22 sec down to 10 sec.
> > With it enabled, I can not use the -d1 option of hdparm. It gives me
> > errors such as:
> > hda: dma_intr: Error 0x51 drive ready seek complete error
> > hda: dma_intr: Error 0x84 drive status error bad CRC.
> >
> > Yes I know. If it feels good do it. If it hurts stop.
> >
> > But what is the BIOS option 'Ultra DMA Support' used for. I have tried
> > several hdparm settings but can find nothing that makes use of it. The
> > hdparm settings I have tried are: 'hdparm -c1-d1X66 /dev/hda'
> >
> > Thanks for any info.
> > Charles
> Charles; Ultra DMA Support is used for hard drives with Ultra DMA or
> "UDMA" support. Unless you're running a UDMA capable hard drive, you
> won't see a difference. The good news is that your Seatgate HDD probably
> is capable. Go ahead and use it. If your drive can't handle it, you
> still won't have problems. If your board detects a UDMA drive, it'll
> make use of the support, and your drive will transfer data faster or at
> least smoother. If it don't, you won't see a difference. When you
> reboot, you should see UDMA2, or 4 in your P.O.S.T. menu (Black screen
> with white box outlining all detected hardware before your O/S starts to
> boot. If you're quick on your "pause" key, you'll have a chance to read
> the menu, and see if it works or not.
>
> Lanman

Thanks Dan:
 I was able to pause the BOOT process and look at the hard drive info. Yes it
said the pri hard disk (the only one I have) is UDMA mode 4. And the BOOT
process found the right drive (a ST310212A).

But, it makes no difference if I enable or disable the BIOS option 'Ultra DMA
Support' as far as I can tell: In windoze or in Linux. Either way 'hdparm -t
/dev/hda' shows it take 22 sec to read 64M.

But, if I disable the BIOS option 'Ultra DMA Support I can use hdparm and
decrease the read time of 64M from 22 sec to 10 sec. So I will just leave the
BIOS option disabled.

Anyway I learned what the option is.

Thanks
Charles