Title: RE: [newbie] PCMCIA modems

Look in the Drakeconfig for hardware detection or lothar I can't remember which its called now, click on that and when it lists everything there should be a + box next to modem, see what it says, did it detect the modem? Also I have found that when I give KPPP all the configuration data I then have to exit from the Xwindow and restart or exit completely and reboot. Once I have done that the modem works fine. I don't think you will be able to use /dev/modem without making a symbolic link to it from the real port...   Is a PCMCIA plugged into or considered a serial port on your computer( I've never used one on a laptop)?  If it is the equivalent of COM 1 or 2 in windows then you should get a connection at /dev/ttys0 or ttys1,  hope that helps.  Dennis M.

-----Original Message-----
From:   [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] On Behalf Of [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent:   Wednesday, November 01, 2000 11:15 AM
To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject:        [newbie] PCMCIA modems

I am trying to get a PCMCIA modems to work under Kppp (MD7.1, Sony Vaio PCG
F250) I have tried all the /dev options from /dev/modem to whatever the last
one is and either get modem busy, can't open modem etc. If I set flow control
to "none" and then try to query modem, it will say modem ready and check the
ATI commands but the resulting table of ATI commands is blank.
The shop told me that all PCMCIA modems are "hardware" modems, were they wrong,
have they sold me a Winmodem ?