Tom,

I scanned through the expert mailing list archive but did not find the
article in question. However, while scanning through alt.os.linux.mandrake,
I did come across a post that details the same problem that I am faced with
and also a workaround. Here is a link to the message on Deja :

http://x67.deja.com/getdoc.xp?AN=688389113&CONTEXT=973561895.1437270067&hitnum=1

In case the link above does not work, I will excerpt the article here :

Well, I Mandrake finally got it's comuppance (or however the hell you spell
that).

I started the install via the regular manner after having copied hdparm to a
floppy from a Mandrake 7.1 system. After some trial and error trying to
determine the first point at which the /dev/hd* devices had been created, I
mounted the floppy, ran the hdparm -d 0 /dev/hd* and continued with the
graphical install. Everything worked!!! I bit my nails to the stub during
the file copy stage.

Mandrake: Please make the special via patch you've added to kernel 2.2.17
default to a NON-DMA TRANSFER MODE during the install. You may then give the
user the option to turn on 'hard drive optimisations which may corrupt data'
(or cause your computer to lockup!). Not everyone's DMA works flawlessly.

Thanks in advance!

-Pete

PS I sure hope Mandrake reads this!

It is not clear to me how and when this user interrupted the installation
process and how did s/he restart it. Can you help me make some sense out of
this ?

Thanks,

-Mandeep