On Wednesday 08 November 2000 07:11 am, Marcia wrote:
> Dear All and Paul, Thank you for the advice about installing or
> upgrading to Mandrake 7.2. I am probably going to get the CD's and
> upgrade afterall. I looked into Cheapbytes website and saw the
> CD's but do not understand  the difference between the two kinds
> offered really.

     the CD's for $3.99 are 'production' CD's.  They make a whole
bunch a one time from a master CD.  The CD-R's for $6.99 are
'burned' CD's, recorded from the iso's.  My conjecture:  if you buy
the production CD's, your Cdrom might have minor problems reading
them.  They are generally not as good quality as the CD-R's.  Next
is time, unless they have production CD's ready to ship, you'll
prob'ly wait longer to get them than CD-R's which are produced 'as
needed', ie, you might have to wait till they make another run.  BUT
this is all rather pointless as www.lsl.com is sellin 7.2 CD-R's for
$3.78 + s&h.

> Someone mentioned that you can download the ISO to your HD , make
> a boot disk, then install it that way without  the need to burn it
> to a CD. Does anyone know about this procedure and exactly how to
> do it? Thank you all for your help. Marcia

   Instructions on how to do this are on Mandrake's site.  'Course
it also helps to have a fast enough connection to make d/l'g 1.3
gigs of iso's worthwhile  ;)  If you choose to d/l, be sure to run
'md5sum' on them to verify, re-d/l using rsync if it doesn't match.
--
Tom Brinkman        [EMAIL PROTECTED]         Galveston Bay