A few months ago, I bought a copy of Linux-Mandrake
7.0 with the intent to install it on my then-new
computer. However, I ran into a major problem. When I
used the included tool to partition my hard drive, the
partition worked, but my computer would no longer
recognise my CD-ROM drive (it just didn't appear
anywhere), so I couldn't install Linux, and I had to
remove the partition. My computer worked fine after
that, but I was unable to install Linux, so I put the
Linux CDs away. Now, for some reason, I've decided to
try to install again. What is wrong with my CD-ROM
drive that it's doing this?

My computer is a HP Pavilion 9694C. I don't know much
about the specs on my CD-ROM drive tho..altho it is a
combination CD-ROM/DVD drive.

Can anyone help this clueless newbie?