>Bill,
>I notice you are using Windows Eudora, if you are in win9.x, then goto My
>computer -> Properties -> Device Manager -> Display Adapters -> Print ->
>selected class or device -> OK; do the same with monitor. You will get all
>the specs; I printed my whole system.  HTH

Ok.... tried that... problem is that Windows doesn't even recognize my
monitor!  so all it prints is:

Class: Monitors
Device: (Unknown Monitor)
No resources used.

and thats it... heh... I already tried the setting 'monitor that will do
1024x768 at 70hz' and that didn't work either... I'm beginning to think
that something else is up... when I try to choose a monitor setting (I
don't know if it did this by typing "Xconfigurator" at the Command Line or
not) I catch a brief glimpse of 10 or so lines, and the last one says
"Device is busy" or something similar... is there any way to print out the
results of that so I can post it here?

for the record, here's my Video Card:

Class: Display adapters
Device: Revolution(tm) 3D (HawkEye, DirectX)
Resources:
  IRQ: 11
  I/O: 03B0h-03BBh
  I/O: 03C0h-03DFh
  I/O: D000h-D0FFh
Then a ton of MEM's which I'm snipping for brevity

I'm going to try the other ideas listed here later, but any more feedback
would be *greatly* appreciated... I really want to try to become less
attached to Windows if at all possible

Thanks for all the help, guys

Bill
--
"Lazy is good when there's nothing to do. But Lazy is even better when
something needs to be done." -Llie Rion