On Thursday 09 November 2000 08:40 am, Adrian Smith wrote:
> i'm going to upgrade to 7.2 eventually....
> i am going to try the "upgrade" install since i have never done
> that before, tho if all fails i'll just start over since my /home
> is on a seperate partition and i'll do a fresh.  but one other
> thing i wonder about the upgrade function....

     I'll continue to recommend a fresh install of 7.2, specially if
you're going from XF3.3.x to XF-4.  I've also found that some KDE1
apps just don't work or work right with KDE2.  Also if you have any
hardware that's been a hassle in the past, I believe a fresh install
would have the best chance of gettings things right.

    That said tho, you've really got nothin to loose tryin an
upgrade first.  I'd suggest you do a 'recommended' (rather than
'customized' or 'expert') upgrade first, then upgrade again with
expert/development. This opinion is based partly on my own
experiences (7.2b3 -> 7.2) and suggestions I've seen on the cooker
list.  'Course this assumes you don't have to use 'expert' to
overcome some parculiarities of your system/hardware/configuration
to begin with.

> obviously it will upgrade existing packages, but i assume
> (dangerous to do) that it will add any packages that i do not have
> installed?  am i correct.

    Generally speaking I believe this will be the case.  Sort'a like
there's no difference between 'rpm -i' and 'rpm -U', both will
install even if there's no existing package.  I feel the bigger risk
tho, doing a 7.x -> 7.2 upgrade, is that orphaned or obsolete
files/packages will be left on your HDD.   I'd also advise that KDE2
has some bobbles/irritations. Don't assume it's your 7.2 install,
it's prob'ly KDE2, and will be fixed in KDE2.1 ;)

  does the "upgrade" have that part where
> you select which packages to install?

     Yes
--
Tom Brinkman        [EMAIL PROTECTED]         Galveston Bay