On Sunday 12 November 2000 07:54 am, Paul wrote:
Anyone have any experience with Ricoh, Teac or Sony?
> (IDE version.)

     If you follow alt.comp.periphs.cdr  for a while I believe you'll
find Plextor and Yamaha's are the favored cd-rw's, in that order.
Number one rule is don't buy a 're-badged' drive, ie, made by one
manufacturer, but sold by another.  Also don't buy discontinued or out
of business drives, eg, Smart & Friendly.

     I have a Plextor 8432, works perfectly with both Windoze and
Mandrake. It's always been recognized and setup by both.  I had a Ricoh
7040.  It died, fortunately while I was still able to return it.  It
quickly developed the same mechanical problems that most Ricohs are
know for, won't spin up (see the cdr NG above).  I believe Sony's been
trading on their reputation for a few years now.  They're quickly
gaining a bad reputation for all their products.
--
Tom Brinkman       [EMAIL PROTECTED]     Galveston Bay