Dear linux-experts :-)

Please help!

My video card is ATI Mach64 GX. This card has an
accelerated driver in XF86. Somehow, when I use this
driver my x-session always hangs - it works for a
while, and then unexpectedly my display freezes.
I have narrowed down my problem to the fact that my
videocard glitches in accelerated mode, since i have
too little RAM (32MB). I have to run some simple
unaccelerated driver.

I tried to use a different video driver - so far i
found one - Generic VGA - it works JUST FINE - my
display never hangs, plus the whole system seems to
work faster(??). The only problem is that Gen. VGA
always overrides my resolution settings to 600x300
pixels (normally i work at 1024x748 ) - so i cannot do
anything good with my display when it is in 600x300
mode.

Is there some other driver (generic SVGA or something)
which would drive my videocard without acceleration
and give me normal resolution? What about earlier
versions of XFree86 - do they have unaccelerated
driver versions   for my videocard?