I can't get Optus@Home running with DrakConf either. The only solution was to
do pretty much the same thing as you have done. I run the line dhcpcd -d -n
-h hostname eth0 at the command line as root (it doesn't work as user). The
-d creates a small log file that can be used for troubleshooting (it doesn't
generate much output, so you won't be overwhelmed with data) and the -n
renews the connection if dhcpcd is already running. That way I can put the
line as a cron job to run every five minutes to prevent connection dropouts,
which occur from time to time on the Optus network. Also, put the line in
your /etc/rc.d/rc.local file so that you automatically connect at bootup.

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan
        "One World, One Web, One Programme." - Microsoft Promotional Ad.