I have a small lan setup currently (5 computers, 4 running windows 98 and 1
running Mandrake 7.1) and I have been trying to set them all up to use some
form of on demand dialing to my local ISP.

All the computers talk to each other and everything with the local lan works
fine (so far).

I run into problems when i try to use DialD to perform the on demand dialing
though.

Currently i can log in from any of the computers and use '/sbin/ifup ppp0' to
start my ppp link to my ISP and then everything works fine with masquerading,
etc. I cannot get diald setup to detect when one of the computers calls for a
connection to the ISP though.

I know there is something with diald that requires it to be setup with a
series of ipchains so that the computers are not masq'd to begin with so diald
can get the message that it needs to call the ISP and then it starts the
ipchains rules for masq'ing. I havent gotten this part figured out and would
greatly appreciate it if anyone could offer any advice on this.

One other thing that i am having some problems with is the usage of pppd in
the examples i have managed to find for setting up diald so far. I have yet to
be able to get pppd to connect to my ISP and have always used the '/sbin/ifup
ppp0' line i mentioned above with no problems. I am sure this is something
that i am probably overlooking but have no idea what exactly it is.

If anyone knows of an alternative for diald that is easier to setup and use or
can give me some fairly simple instructions for setting up diald i would
greatly appreciate hearing it.

Thanks in advance,
Ian K. Harrell
[EMAIL PROTECTED]