Because as you have heard Windows ME isn't dos - based anymore. Yes some of the dos
functions exist but basically Windows ME acts on its own. I have windows ME and its
networking and other features are much much better. Even with the extensive tweaking
of the win 98 SE machine. I can get no where's near the speed of downloading that WIN
ME is getting.

> ** Original Subject: RE: [newbie] Test of Wine with Win98 and WinMe
> ** Original Sender: "pablito" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> ** Original Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 16:57:23 -0600

> ** Original Message follows...

> Sorry about cross-posting, but note:  anyone who was thinking of upgrading
> to Windows Me.
> ----
>
> I tested Wine build 20000909.1mdk.i586.rpm on a computer with win98
> installed,
> and my computer with Windows Me installed.
>
> Results:  Wine worked a lot better with Windows 98.  I got some programs
> running and almost got MSWord running without fooling with the wine.conf
> file.  All of the simple Windows programs worked fine.
>
> Tested with Windows Me, Wine doesn't run anything.  Everything crashes, even
> the program sol.exe that the Wine people tell you to use as a test fiel,
> even with extensive tweaking of the windows.conf file.
>
> I also tested the latest build wine-cvs-stripped 112500-1.i386.rpm from
> Dataparty on both computers.  result:  Got lots of programs running on the
> Windows 98 machine including microsoft excel!  On the Windows Me machine, I
> was able to run solitare without crashing (sol.exe) but nothing else would
> run.

]XAN[animalTK