i have a Linsys DSL router. I use it as a DHCP server.
It was propery set  up before i installed the Linux.
It's working just fine after installation.
If you have a software DHCP or Proxy server, you better have another
computer to host your Local Network. The server should have all information
about your Remote ISP provider.
All you have to know is the IP address of your DHCP or Proxy server.
NIC card may have conflict with your sound card, so check it out at Hardrake
or whatever.