> Jacqueline Michell wrote:
>
> I’m very sorry if this is a dumb question.  I bought
> Linux-Mandrake 7.2 (powerpack deluxe) and need some advice on
> partitions before I install.  I have no experience with Linux and find
> the installation manual unclear on this point.  I have also searched
> the newbie archives.
>
> My 15G HD now has two partitions:   7.14G (C:) Windows and Windows
> applications that are already installed--AND--7.13G (E:) reserved for
> Linux--not yet installed.  (I need to be able to dual-boot to either
> Windows or Linux.)
>
> My questions:
>
> 1. Is there a way to insure that Linux is installed on the E:\drive?
> If so, is this choice made in the Recommended, Customized, or Expert
> class of installation?
>
> 2. Or---do I need to remove the E: partition and let Linux make
> it’s own partitions?  If so, can one make sure that both OS have
> about equal HD space?
>
> Any help will be greatly appreciated . . . Jacqueline Michell

Ummm, well, just delete partition E and use customized install.  On the
blank end of the disk click with the mouse pointer and let it set up
root (/ mount point) swap /usr and /home.  If you want to choose sizes,
make root (/) at least 500Mb /usr at least 3 G, and swap about 250 Mb.
Let /home have the rest.

Windows will NOT see any of those partitions, but you can make the first
partition(drive C: which linux will call /dev/hda1) have a mount point
called /mnt/windows which will give you access from linux to your
windows files.  There is a program available by searching freshmeat.net
called explore2fs at this location which will allow windows to see your
linux files, but I do recommend that you not use it to write to the
linux partitions from windows.  Writing in the other direction is much
safer, i. e. let linux read your windows files.

Civileme