On Fri, 24 Nov 2000, Jacqueline Michell wrote:

>My 15G HD now has two partitions:  7.14G (C:) Windows and Windows
>applications that are already installed--AND--7.13G (E:) reserved for
>Linux--not yet installed.  (I need to be able to dual-boot to either
>Windows or Linux.)

If you have a C and an E drive, does this mean your CD is D:? just
curious...

>My questions:
>
>1. Is there a way to insure that Linux is installed on the E:\drive?
>If so, is this choice made in the Recommended, Customized, or Expert
>class of installation?

You are always asked where you want Linux installed.
The first partition will be /dev/hda1, the C: drive. Do Not Use That.
At a certain moment the installation program will ask you if it should use
its own intelligence to assign diskspace, or if you want to do it
yourself. Do it yourself. Do not go for Fdisk when asked, use diskdrake.
The FAT partition(s) will be marked in a certain color. When you click a
partition, the screen will tell you what the program has detected there.
You can then select the second partition, where you want Linux, tell the
installer that you want to use that.

>2. Or---do I need to remove the E: partition and let Linux make it’s own
>partitions?  If so, can one make sure that both OS have about equal HD
>space?

This would make things a bit easier, then you do not have to meddle with
the installer to clear the partition first. Then you can make the
partitions for linux (swap, /home, /usr and /) directly.

Good luck
Paul

--
A friend is someone who knows us