The installation of CUPS also includes GIMP-Print, very sophisticated
drivers for colour inkjets, especially Epson. Look when you install your
printer after you have installed CUPS, choose an entry in the printer
list with "CUPS+GIMP-print v4.0". After the installation you can call
"calibrate-gimpprint" to calibrate the colours. Instructions for the
installation of CUPS see below,

   Till

Stop LPD by

   /etc/rc.d/init.d/lpd stop

and backup your /etc/printcap file. Remove the "lpr" package and related
packages:

   rpm -e --nodeps lpr
   rpm -e --nodeps rhs-printfilters

Download the following RPM packages from a download site for Linux
Mandrake 7.2 (or copy them from the first CD of Linux Mandrake 7.2), DO
NOT download the packages from the Cooker:

   cups
   cups-drivers
   ghostscript
   ghostscript-module-X
   ghostscript-module-SVGALIB
   ghostscript-utils
   xpp
   qtcups
   samba
   samba-common
   samba-client

Install the "cups" package with

   rpm -Uvh --nodeps cups-1.1.4*.rpm

Set links for easier access to the CUPS shell commands:

   cd /usr/bin
   ln -s lpr-cups lpr
   ln -s lpq-cups lpq
   ln -s lprm-cups lprm
   cd /usr/sbin
   ln -s lpc-cups lpc

Now install all the other downloaded packages with

   rpm -Uvh <package file name>

Start CUPS with

   chkconfig --add cups
   service cups start

Go to http://localhost:631/ to get to the web interface for
administration of CUPS and to the documentation of CUPS.