On Tuesday 28 November 2000 11:22 am, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I realise that there are more secure firewalls available but Guarddog
> is so easy to set up for a newbie,with it's point and click panels
> it's straightforward to select/de-select options and go back in to
> change if you get it wrong, and requires little (if any)
> understanding of ipchains.

     That's my point tho, would you rather have a fancy GUI for a
firewall setup that leaves ports open, or use a text based app like
PMfirewall that sets up ipchains to give better protection?

> BTW thanks for the heads-up re: the better check than ShieldsUp -
> I've been there and it finds things that ShieldsUp couldn't
> like port 23 is open  and allows telnet
>       port 80 is open and allows http
>       port 8080 is open for http-proxy
> none of which I understand because as far as I knew none of these
> sevices were enabled - guess I've got some digging to do !
> Poogle

     Do the complete scan and get the emailed report.  The basic scan
reports 1025 open on my system, but the complete scan reports 1025 as
open/filtered, ie, not a problem.   'Course I have the BEST protection
from script kiddies, a lousy 28,8 dialup ;>
--
Tom Brinkman       [EMAIL PROTECTED]     Galveston Bay