I was running a small web site using Apache on an old PowerMac 7500/100 at
my last job. That machine is at least 5 years old, so it does work pretty
well.

I paid a very small amount for the commercial distribution from
www.linuxppc.com

I found it difficult to install. The Mac came with a 500MB SCSI disk, and I
added a 4GB SCSI disk. I installed a minimal MacOS8.5 on the 500MB disk, and
then booted from the LinuxPPC CD. I don't know why but this got it going.

You need to make sure that the Macs are capable of running LinuxPPC - most
PowerPC with PCI bus are.

You can find some information at www.linuxppc.org, but I think there is less
documentation around, and it isn't as well organised as the Intel
distributions. But it does work very well! The version I installed used the
2.2.13 kernel.

I have just downloaded the image for LinuxPPC 2000, now I have to find out
how to burn it onto a bootable CD!

Best of luck

Chris