Joe, I'm using BA Infospeed also, and aside from stumbling on the first
few attempts to set it up, I basically have had no trouble. I too use
the Roaring Penguin software. You need to make sure that your net card
is not initialized at boot time, and that it has no IP address asigned
to it. Run the rppppoe setup program, and answer all the q's. Make sure
you answer 'server' at the point where you actually have that option.
Finish up the install and reboot your system. Try to log on. If you
can't get on or you can get on but can't route, you need to make sure
that the nameservers are configured in /etc/resolv.conf and
/etc/ppp/resolv.conf. If they aren't listed in these 2 files, add them,
save the changes, and reboot again. Try to log on again. This is usually
what I need to do to get my internet connection working.

Add a couple aliases in your .bashrc file for the adsl-start, adsl-stop,
and adsl-status commands. This beats typing those commands all the time.
I used the following:
aa=adsl-start
ab=adsl-stop
ac-adsl-status