You should have six virtual text consoles.  Access them by pressing any
of the function keys, F1-F6, while holding down <Ctrl> and <Alt>.  Once
out of X, you don't need the Ctrl key -- you can switch among virtual
consoles using just <Alt><F1-F6>.  You can get back to the X console by
pressing <Alt><F7>.