I am very much a beginner, having just purchase the
linux pocket book 3rd edition.

I am trying to load Mandrake 7.2 but it doesn't seem
to be able to identify my hard disk. The booklet
mentions Mandrake can partition the HD during
installation. When booting the mandrake CD I get the
response 'hda: no response (reseting drive)'. It then
goes through the installation but fails when it
reaches the partitioning stage.

I have an ASUS A7V motherboard with an AMD 700 CPU and
a 30 Gig IBM-DLTA-307030 hard disk using WinME Promise
Ultra100 (tm)IDE controller (PDC20265).

Can anyone give me some directions ?

Cheers Paul