Please can anyone on this list help. When I try to re-compile my kernel
2.2.14-15mdk Linux-Mandrake 7.0  I recieve the error

make: *** no rule to make target 'xconfig'. stop.

This happens with anything, if I try make mrproper  or make config  etc.

I'm root, and in the /usr/src/linux  directory as instructed with the
mandrake manual.

Something is broken on my system.. Can anyone please help. The only reason
I even wish to re-compile the kernel is so that I can get my teac IDE/ATAPI
cd writer to work.

If anyone knows how to get around this without a recompile please suggest.

Regards,
Clyde J. Kell