I've been reading about partitioning quite a lot, but none of the
places I've read really give any reasons for their suggestions.  I
know you can have all of Linux in one partition, but I'd like to do it
the best way.  From various places I've seen separate partitions for
/, /boot, /usr, /var, and /home.

How are these more useful separated out over many partitions?
What kind of space would they typically take up?
What is the functionallity of these partitions?
How do I tell Linux that I've created separate partitions for /usr and
/var for instance?

Thanks,
Jake