any of the O'Reily books.
specifically:
Linux in a Nutshell (3rd edition — look out, the bookstore i went to had 2nd & 3rd
edition mixed on the shelf)
Running Linux
both of those are good for the newbie — the nutshell book will be useable for a long
time as it covers all the command line commands and their switches, in addition to
setting up and configureing LILO, also using VI and all sorts of other stuff.
in addition, these two books do not assume you are using Red Hat (as many do) and do
not assume you are doing everything in KDE (as many do).  they tell you how to operate
from the command line primarily and toss in a few things about KDE and Gnome.

Adrian Smith
'de telepone dude
Telecom Dept.
x 7042
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

>>> back focus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 10:57:14 PM 12/24/00 >>>
Howdy folks.

  I figure that I'll be getting some gift certificates
from the bookstore this Christmas.

  I am a complete newbie to linux.  I installed
Mandrake 7.2 this weekend, and except for a minor
issue with ppp, it went on without a hitch.

  Now, I want to learn to use my new toy.  Could any
suggest some good books to learn linux with?

  I have a very strong windows background, but need
some suggestions to learn linux. Anything you could
offer would be helpful!

  Hoping to eventually answer, instead of ask
questions,
  -Craig