My Mandrake 7.2 is configured to boot graphically.  It works well until
the point where you would normally enter your login and password.

What used to happen was it would display the shell login screen, then
open the graphical login screen over the top.

Now, once it reaches this stage, I get a blank black screen.
Ctrl-Alt-F2 does nothing, nor does Alt-F2..

I've checked the messages log and I think the problem is stated here,
but am not sure what to do about it:

Dec 27 18:57:27 revenant kernel: parport0: no IEEE-1284 device present.
Dec 27 18:57:27 revenant kernel: lp0: using parport0 (polling).
Dec 27 18:57:27 revenant modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module
char-major-4
Dec 27 18:57:28 revenant last message repeated 67 times
Dec 27 18:57:28 revenant modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module
char-major-180

PLEASE help!

Thank you,

Revenant.