Paul wrote:

> On Thu, 28 Dec 2000, IRoKd wrote:
>
> Hi IRoKd
>
> >While by far am I the Linux expert, I would say that you experience some
> >kind of buffer over run or something in your printer.  Before killing the
> >spool, I would turn the printer offline, then power it off to clear the
> >buffer.  Then, kill all the jobs, reset the spooler, etc, and fire the
> >printer back up to see what happens.
>
> The trick question now (because I did almost all of that):
> how do you reset the spooler...
> But, next time I pull a stunt like that, I can see if Alan's tip re. kups
> will do anything. I ran lpq, saw that job 11 was going whopee, issued a
> "cancel 11", and then lpq showed a clear queue. That is not difficult. I
> only need the info on "reset the spooler".
>
> kill -sighup ???
> (might that be the pid of  cupsd ?)
>
> Paul

Netscape (4.76) just locked up on me and I couldn't kill it from
the
command line.  I went 'su' and opened gtop.  If you highlight the
process you want to kill, you can do a right mouse click, slide
down to 'Send' and on down to 'SendKill'.  Brought down Netscape
nice and clean.

I thought of your print problem and watched the 'lp' print
spooler come up on a print job.  I believe you could kill the
spooler from gtop and then power down the printer to kill what is
left in memory there.  Its something I have to experiment with
further, but thought I would pass it on.

Barry :-)