Peter,

XFree86 is the X-server that comes with Mandrake. Without it, Linux would be
a command-line only affair (unless you spent $$$ for a commercial X-server).

I had a very similar problem just over a year ago when trying to install
Caldera OpenLinux 2.2. It looks as if nothing has changed since then with
XFree86's Trident 3DImage 9750 support. My card had 4MB of RAM, and I easily
was able to reach 1024x768 with 16-bit colour in Windos. In Linux (both
Caldera 2.2 and Red Hat 6.0), however, the best I could get was 640x480 with
16 colours. This was after I manually adjusted my monitor refresh rates. I
spent many hours researching websites in an effort to find a solution, and I
was rather frustrated since the XFree86 site said that my card was supported,
although it obviously was not very well supported at all. In the end I just
gave up and bought a new card. The 3DImage is an old card, and nowadays you
can get far better ones for less than the price it cost back then. It was a
nuisance having to do this, but I can honestly say that it was one of the
best investments I've ever made, since I now use Linux all the time.

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan.
        Your mouse has moved. Windows must be rebooted to acknowledge this change.