From: Tom Brinkman [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, 11 January 2001 11:27 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [newbie] Xserver Configuration Problem with Trident 9750
AGP Card

On Thursday 11 January 2001 12:05 am, BIRKLE Peter wrote:
> I have just tried to install Mandrake 7.2 and all goes well up until
> the X Server configuration.

     I have no idea about your monitor, but that Vcard is weak.
During install you're asked if you want XFree-3.3x or XFree-4, and XF-4
w/accel.  I suspect your card will work better with the old 3.3x, and
it won't do XF-4 w/accel at all.  So if you can't navigate in DrakConf
with your present install, I believe you need to boot your install CD
and choose 'expert' and 'upgrade'.  Run thru the upgrade, unselect all
packages (unless you want to add something) til you get to X setup.
Now you're gonna have to trial and error some different setups. It'll
ask you to test the config.  If what you choose doesn't work, you can
choose another.  I'd think that your Vcard can handle MAX 1024x768 at
16bpp, but would prob'ly do better at 800x600x16.  You'll just have to
experiment with XFree 3 or 4.  Use XF-4 if you can.
--
Tom Brinkman       [EMAIL PROTECTED]     Galveston Bay