On Sunday 14 January 2001 10:44 am, you wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Jan 2001, Mark Weaver wrote:
> > Ok, but if one upgrades RPM to version 4 will it have problems with
> > packages compiled with an earlier version of RPM?
>
> Be very carefull here. This is a newbie list, and I DO NOT RECOMMEND
> ANYONE IN NEWBIE UPDGRADE THE RPM PACKAGES IN 7.2 TO RPM 4.
>
> There are things that will break. For example MandrakeUpdate will no
> longer work. You may loose part of your rpm database. The libs have
> changed. You will HAVE TO update kde to the 2.0.1 or even 2.1 (better
> choice).
>
> My advice: DO NOT DO THIS ON A 7.2 MACHINE YOU CARE ABOUT!!!!
>
> Sorry for the caps, but it is nice to have the latest software, it is even
> nicer to have software that works. This is why a lot of times you do not
> see updates for every package before the next release, some are just to
> major.
>
> -Chris

Then why in the world is there even anything being compiled for Mdk 7.2 in an
RPM4 format? to begin with I was mostly just curious about RPM4 packages
what-nots, but now I'm absolutely convinced that RPM4 IS from the very pit of
hell and one should have nothing at all to do with it.
--
Mark

"If you don't share your concepts and ideals, they end up being worthless,"
"Sharing is what makes them powerful."

                                Linus Torvalds