On Sunday 14 January 2001 11:11, Mark Weaver wrote:
> On Sunday 14 January 2001 12:02 pm, you wrote:
> > On Sun, 14 Jan 2001, Mark Weaver wrote:
> > > Then why in the world is there even anything being compiled for Mdk 7.2
> > > in an RPM4 format? to begin with I was mostly just curious about RPM4
> > > packages what-nots, but now I'm absolutely convinced that RPM4 IS from
> > > the very pit of hell and one should have nothing at all to do with it.
> >
> > Where are RPMS's being compiled by MandrakeSoft for 7.2 in an RPM 4
> > format? Seriously, where are you finding these?
>
> It was an assumption made on my part based on what I had been reading on
> this list. If I've made this assumption in error then the egg is clearly on
> my face.

No, I think there is a common mis-understanding here that is worth clearing
up. A lot of the packages people mention in any of the lists is from our
"cooker" development tree. For those folks who like living on the bleading
edge (dangerously) they have access to the development tree and get the
updates and are able to test them as they are packaged for the next build.

Unfortunatly this time the development tree is incompatable with 7.2. The
version of gcc is updated, the kernel is updated, libraries are being moved
around and much more. RPM 4 is another reason, any utility that uses RPM must
be updated the minute you update to RPM 4, this is something most people do
not think of.

Does anyone realize that the "menu" package, used to generate and update the
menu structure uses rpm? It will fail and you will be left without menus if
you update. (I know from experience).

Users have a choice here. If they want to go to the rpm 4 they need to do a
total update to cooker, it is just to much problem to do anything else.
Believe me, I would like to update to RPM 4 on my production machine, but I
also like making kde 2.1 CVS builds available for all on 7.2 and 7.1 and if I
update these rpm's would no longer work.

The only update that will work on 7.2 are those that are found in the
Mandrake/Update directory for 7.2 and those that are found in
Mandrake-devel/unsupported/i586 on the Mandrake development trees on cooker
mirrors.

Anyways I hope that helps a little. Ask if your have any questions.

-Chris