Why not use IPChains to prevent incoming connections from the outside, and skip all the other hassles? Just a thought !
----- Original Message -----
From: DJW
Sent: Tuesday, January 16, 2001 8:18 PM
Subject: [newbie] Permission to mounted drives?

I am using Mandrake 7.2 on a multi boot machine.  I am trying to only allow the root user to access 2 of my windows 98 partitions.  I have security set to medium.  The only way I seem to be able to stop access to these drives is by going to High security (pain in the arse, then no one but root can access any of the mnt drives) or unmount the drives.
I've used linuxconf to try to change the settings, but it doesn't seem to take affect.  Also, I've logged in in console mode and used the chmod command to change it (chmod 700 win_c).  It acts like it's working, but then when I log back as a user I can still access them?
I've set linuxconf to not mount the drives at boot, and that works, but I would like to mount them in case I need to access a file on them, I'm just a little paranoid because I have a dsl connection and want to limit access just in case someone gets in.
Thanks in advance,
DJW