hey, I'll tell you what I do to make mandrake really scream.

1.  HDparm.  Read this article.  http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/272
That oughta get your hard drive going as bit faster.
2.  recompile the kernel and get rid of everything you don't use.  If
you've never done this, email me personally and I'll write you a step by
step.  You can simply change the cpu optimizations to PPro and rebuild
your current kernel if you don't want to change anything drastic.  This
will make your machine quite a bit faster.  I gained 15 fps in quake3
simply by recompiling.
3.  Download .src.rpms of all your favorite programs from the
linux/mandrake/7.2/SRPMS/ directory on one of the mirrors fo 7.s and
recompile them.
4.  recompile X if you can.  Doing this speeded up my system
comsiderably.
5.  Use a windowmanager that is small and light eg.  Windowmaker,
Blackbox, raw sawfish, I'm sure others fall into that catagory but I
haven't used them yet ;-)

Good luck and feel free to write me off the list if you have any really
indepth questions.

Abe