Getting Linux to "share" your single internet connection is very simple
under 7.2.

There is a GUI interface to set this all up for you.

In 7.1 you need to do all the work yourself.

1) Edit your /etc/rc.local file

Make sure it includes the following lines:

#
#CRITICAL:  Enable IP forwarding since it is disabled by default since
#
#Redhat Users:  you may try changing the options in /etc/sysconfig/network
from:
#
#                       FORWARD_IPV4=false
#                       FORWARD_IPV4=true
#
#
# Load up MASQ support
#
/sbin/modprobe ip_masq_ftp
/sbin/modprobe ip_masq_quake
/sbin/modprobe ip_masq_raudio
# The above three are more than enough.
# Though you might want to enable other MASQ modules as well
#
/sbin/ipchains -P forward DENY
/sbin/ipchains -A forward -s 10.0.0.0/8 -j MASQ -d 0.0.0.0/0
#

This assumes that you have an existing working internet connection of some
sort -AND- another ethernet interface connected to your internet "private"
network.

In the above case my private network is using the reserved IP address range
of

10.0.0.1 thru 10.254.254.254, far more than most people need!

My ethernet card on my internet connected linux box, that will be used to
talk to the "other" machines is at 10.0.0.1 (though any address will work).

Since I'm using a few Winblows machines:

They all have their default gateway address pointing to 10.0.0.1
They all have reserved IP addresses for their Ethernet cards starting with

Machine One: Eternet 10.0.0.10 Sub-Netmask 255.0.0.0
Machine Two: Eternet 10.0.0.11 Sub-Netmask 255.0.0.0
etc.

They DNS entries all point to the DNS server at my ISP (though you could set
up your own to get much faster responses!)

And each machine has a unique name.

Remember: (Normally, unless you REALLY know what you are doing) you should
have two connections on your Linux box, one to the internet.

The Internet Connection may be thru dialup (using PPP), a Cable Modem or DSL
(normally using a seperate ethernet card, configured as eth0), etc.

The "local" connection is seperate (in this case eth1), configured by me
manually as the second connection.

Normally the first connection gets automatically configured for you by your
DSL or Cable provider using a DHCP -CLIENT- on your machine. If you can surf
the internet you already have this set up!

That's about it.

The above configuration is considered a bit "open" since there are almost no
restrictions on what services Linux "provides" to the internet.

After you have things up and running, you can deal with cutting down the
services Linux provides to the internet and thereby increase security.

-JMS