The problem is that you don't have pppd installed. Either re-install it using
kpackage (from a console - logged in as root), or re-install your Linux, or
perform an update. Use the workstation/custom install, and select "individual
Package Selection. Go thru each section, and pick everything you want
including pppd which is in the "Communications" section in Mandrake 7.2.

L8R

Dan