I had the same problem. In my case when I installed mandrake, i chose to
skip configuring internet connection.

Later when I used draknet to setup my internet connection, it installed
the pppd from disk1 of the distro (if you bot the distro like me). After
that I was able to connect, well this mail is proof that I was able to.

Hope this helps.

Surya