On Sunday 21 January 2001 22:03, you wrote:
> > How can i install ppp ????
>
> This is interesting.  Did your copy also come from Wal-Mart?
>
> I have a boxed version of 7.2 Complete which, I'm told, may not be so
> complete.  Among other things, it's KDE 2.0 is not the final version but a
> Beta.  Apparently, a disk is now on it's way to amend.  Thing is, I also
> got the message that it couldn't find the ppp daemon (pppd) and that I
> should install it.  I dug out RpmDrake and found the files related to pppd
> (there were 2, I think) and prepared to install them along with
> Enlightenment and the parts of Gnome that weren't installed initially.  It
> kept telling me that it couldn't communicate with the CD ROM (though it's
> actually a CD-RW and there are 2 of them in Device Manager though only one
> on my machine.. in addition to a CD-ROM which appears as it should in
> Device Manager).  That's another issue to swim through.  I may also have a
> Winmodem.  Rats.
>
> In this version of LM 7.2, the KDE is in Beta as I say.  I have 2 users set
> up:  "dave" and "root".  The kicker in root works fine and looks just as it
> did in the screen shots on the web tutorials.  However, there is no kicker
> loaded (and a message telling me so) in dave.  (Side note: When does a
> single user of a machine use root and, in this case, dave?)  Apparently,
> this is one of the issues that the update disk they're sending will solve.
>
> More frustratingly, one of many, many points of difference between the
> software and the manual included with it is illustrated on page 64 of the
> manual.  In that illustration, the text in the window (of available
> packages from which to choose to install) shows KDE and quite a number of
> others which are not evident in my installation screen and the ones both
> (the manual and my software version) share in common are in a different
> order.  The first two times I installed Linux (never used it before Friday
> night), I selected all the available options but 2; one on personal
> finances and another for Palm Pilot device interfaces, neither of which I
> have.  <g>  About 75% of the data in this 4 minute install came from the
> first disk with the remainder coming from the second (of the 4 in the
> package).
>
> Below that window is a button to install all components.  That choice does
> install KDE and Gnome (but only 2 other desktop environments, not
> Enlightenment, BlackBox or any others that looked interesting in the
> tutorials on the website).  Strangely, all but the last 10 seconds of data
> of a 6 minute install came from the first disk.
>
> If the manual said a particular choice detailed there might not be a choice
> for either recommended or custom modes, it was not not available in this
> package's custom instalation.  Even if the manual warned only that it may
> not be an available choice in recommended mode installations, it was not
> available in the custom mode of this early 7.2 version of LM.  In fact,
> [...]

Install in expert mode....

DO NOT choose 100% of the packages unless you go for individual package
selection afterward and make sure you do not install printpro, or Zope or any
of the Glide packages (unless you have a Voodoo 3dfx in which case install
ONLY the one for your card).  75-80% is a good number, but again make SURE
printpro is not installed.  (It replaces the cups daemon with one of its own
and when printing stops a month later...  )

When the update disk arrives, follow the special install instructions given at

http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/72last.php3

in the case that you do try the expert install.

Another word, if you have a video card capable of 3D acceleration with
XFree-4.0.1, do not deviate from the resolution suggested by the installer.
Most cards will work 3D accel only from 65000 colors (16-bit depth) and
choosing another depth will break accel permanently.  Once installed, you can
change resolution, and it may break accel until you change it back or it may
not, but during install anything other than 16 bit depth will cause a needed
driver NOT to be loaded.

Civileme

Civileme