Wine might work for you, but I doubt it'll be stable enough to use. Win4Lin
is meant to be good at this sort of thing - some even say that it's faster
than running Windos natively! Unlike wine, however, it costs money :-(.
Plex86 (an open source VMware) is still very much under development, but it's
worth a try.

Your best bet, however, is to run a native Linux programme that can let you
get your work done. Wordperfect is free for Linux (the free version is
missing a few features, but you probably won't need those anyway). Since it
is a direct port from Windos, it runs just like the Windos version. It can
open and save M$ Word documents. Gnumeric is a great M$ Excel replacement,
and it can open and save in Excel format. StarOffice is an integrated office
suite that is a great replacement for (almost) all of M$ Office. I know it
can open and save M$ Word and Excel files, and I think it can do Powerpoint
files too.

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan.
                -- Jeremy S. Anderson