On Monday 22 January 2001 08:46 am, Kelly, Christopher wrote:
> How do I use HDparm to optimize my HD settings?

    First read 'info hdparm', it's one of the better man pages and
contains a lot of useful and important info.

    Next, make sure either lilo or grub (whichever you use) doesn't
have any "ide autotune" statements.

    Then as root, run hdparm, prob'ly with at least the -c1 and -d1
switches, eg,   hdparm -c1 -d1 /dev/hd*   where * is the letter of the
drive you want to test.  This turns on 32bit and DMA. For many drives
it's all that's needed.  Then run    hdparm -tT /dev/hd*    Once you
have found the optimum  hdparm  line, add it to the end of
/etc/rc.d/rc.local   and then run it, eg,   ./rc.local     Be careful
of enabling ata/66 (or /100). It will cause problems unless the HDD(s),
the cable, and the motherboard/controller all together _properly_
support it.  If you experience any problems, it's also the first thing
to turn off.
--
Tom Brinkman       [EMAIL PROTECTED]     Galveston Bay