On Monday 22 January 2001 19:44, you wrote:
> to connect to the internet using Kppp, it tells me, after the login
> process, that pppd has died unexpectedly.  Any help would be greatly
> appreciated.

First, check your timeout setting.  Make sure you are giving the ISP enough
time to establish a connection.  2 minutes should be plenty.  mine is set at
1 min.

If that isn't the problem, then I would say its has to do with how your ISP
wants you to connect and authenticate.  To help you out with this I am going
to need more information.  What authentication method are you using?  what
pppd arguments are you using? etc...

I could also be the modem initialization string you are using.  your ISP may
want a certain kind of connection and you are sending the wrong kind.  For
instance, my ISP operates with V.90 and 56K but not K56flex.  So I have to
make sure K56flex is turned off on my modem via the initialization string,
which looks like at&fw2s109=2s38=1%c0.  This initialization string other
things but mainly ensures a V.90 connection.  Every ISP and modem are
different. Consult your ISP and your modem's AT command manual.  I lucked
out, and my ISP offers linux support.  Hopefully your does too.

-jason