Michael,

> I have an unsupported epson printer. I know that! But I would
> really like to see if, like the LM Hardware site says, it will
> "work in text mode".

  What you're looking to set up is printcap using (I suppose)
postscript (a printer font -- there's more involved, but I don't
know a lot about printers).

> It is an Epson Stylus Scan 2000, and I have tried the main
> drivers from the updated cups list... any clues?

  Hmm.  I don't know this printer at all, but I'd fooled with a
couple of different DeskJets before finally having success in
lm7.2 using Cups with a LazerJet.  First, I'd recommend checking
the (horribly outdated) hardware compatibility list.  Weather you
find it there or not, go from there to the Printer HowTo.  You'll
find them both at:

http://www.linuxdoc.org

  I can only remember from having read the howto long ago that
most printers can be made to function -- at least minimally --
via postscript.  It's just a matter of a little file editing &
all the info is in the howto for copy & paste.

  Meph

--
  "I did this 'cause Linux gives me a woody."
  -Dave '-ddt->' Taylor, announcing DOOM for Linux