On Sunday 28 January 2001 21:15, you wrote:
> I am new to linux. i have mandrake 7.2.
> it runs slow....like a p166 in win98!!!
>
> I have a p2 333 with 256mb ram (mem is reported correctly in mandrake)
> I have a 243mb swap partition that seems never got get used by the system.
> using kde 2.
>
> what could be wrong. i click on etscape and it takes about 10 seconds to
> load.  Isn't this supporsed to be a fast OS?
> how do i get linux to be fast like my win98?
>
> Thanks,
> Sandy
That is a problem limited to Netscape and it has to do with name resolution.

Netscape tries to resolve the address it is given by the nameservers listed
in /etc/resolv.conf and absolutely won't finish its load until resolution
comes, so this is limited by the speed at which your ISP's nameservers reply
to Netscape's initial dialogue.

Try Konqueror and see what happens.

Or download Mozilla 0.7

Civileme