A thought:

Linux "hits" it's resolver quite frequently.

If yours is not properly set up, then there will be long delays or pauses
for applications to appear.

---

A p2 333 should with that much RAM should give you excellent response.

I also once saw sluggish performance on a system in which the IDE
connectors/jumpers were not properly set up.

Even though I had one drive set as Master and the other as Slave, they were
from different manufacturers.

I had to set the Master Drive up as a single drive to cure the problem.

Does Linux spend a long time with the drive light lit before your
application comes up?

BTW: 10 seconds for Netscape is pretty good! Mine takes longer.

Why? Netscape loads a lot of libraries, etc. It's a pretty bloated program.

Not really a fair assessment of Linux's speed.

-JMS